Algebra 1/2 represents a culmination of pre-algebra mathematics, covering all topics normally taught in pre-algebra, as well as additional topics from geometry and discrete mathematics (used in engineering and computer sciences).
We recommend students complete 8/7, skip Algebra 1/2, then go straight to Algebra 1. The only time we recommend Algebra 1/2 is if a student struggles in Math 8/7. The main difference between Algebra 1/2 and 8/7 is that the 8/7 has more foundational math like fractions, decimals, and percents. Algebra 1/2 has more pre-algebra concepts. Typically, students do not struggle with the algebra. It is usually fractions, decimals, and percents that trip them up. That is why we recommend the 8/7 first, then use Algebra 1/2 if they need extra practice before moving to Algebra 1. If the student does well in 8/7, we recommend skipping Algebra 1/2 and going directly to Algebra 1.
You can see a full description of each component of the Algebra 1/2 Homeschool Kit below.
Click here to view Table of Contents
Click here for Placement Tests
Saxon Homeschool Kit Contents
Student Textbook (Hardcover)
- 3rd edition
- 123 lessons plus 10 Additional Topics
- Glossary and Index
- Answers to odd-numbered problems
- Two-color format
- 487 pages
Homeschool Packet with Test Forms
- 31 Test Forms
- Answer Key to all Student Textbook Practices, Problem Sets, and Additional Topic Practices
- Answer Key to all Tests
- Solutions to all Student Textbook Practices, Problem Sets, and Additional Topic Practices. (Early solutions contain every step. Later solutions omit obvious steps.)
- Final answers in bold type for easy, accurate grading
Additional Materials: Fact Cards
- Flash cards for middle grade students needing additional practice in arithmetic
- Includes addition, subtraction, multiplication to the 9s, and division of two digits by one digit
Recommended Resource: DIVE Video Lectures
Purchase separately -This product is not included in the Saxon Homeschool Kit.
Saxon + DIVE = Success
Expert Video Instruction from a Biblical Perspective
- Increase understanding
- Build long-term retention
- Step-by-step instruction for every lesson
- Quickly re-learn missed concepts
- Q&A Email Support with Dr. Shormann
- Taught by David Shormann, PhD
Learn more about DIVE for Saxon Algebra 1/2 here